Here’s the concise tutorial you’ve been waiting for. This tutorial is written for Windows 10 and can possibly be adapted.
- Your personal machine
- Ethical hacking knowledge – know what you legally and ethically can and cannot do
Installing VirtualBox on Windows 10
- Navigate to https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads.
- Under VirtualBox 6.0.4 platform packages click Windows hosts.
- Run the installer.
- To select default settings click Next in the Wizard until installation begins.
Setting up your virtual machine
- Open VirtualBox and click New.
- In the Name and operating system window change the name to something identifiable, for example, Kali.
- Change the Type to Linux.
- Change the Version to Debian (32-bit or 64-bit depending on your machine) and click Next.
- Configure the Memory size or click Next to accept the default.
- In Hard disk, select Create a virtual disk now and click Create.
- In Hard disk file type, select VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image) and click Next.
- In Storage on physical hard disk, select Dynamically allocated and click Next.
- Configure the File location and size or click Create to accept the default.
- Navigate to https://www.kali.org/downloads/ and download Kali Linux 64 Bit .
- Open VirtualBox.
- To power on your virtual machine double-click its icon.
- In the Select start-up disk window browse to the location of your Kali image.
- Click Start.
- In the Boot menu select INSTALL.
If you have issues, let me know and I’ll consider compiling a troubleshooting guide.